Book Review: Leah on the Offbeat
Book Review: Leah on the Offbeat
Author: Becky Albertalli
No of Pages: 343
Released on: April 24, 2018
Goodreads: ★★
Buy this Book here: Amazon
My Thoughts:
This is a companion novel to Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli and follows Simon’s best friend Leah who is a bisexual. It tells the story of their senior year, relationship, heartbreak and a whole lot more of high school drama.
MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
I started this book hoping I will get the same kind to love I felt reading Simon vs the Homo Sapiens agenda. I mean I know it is not even fair to expect that from this book because I loved that one way too much, but still with the same characters, same universe... it’s not really that far fetched right!!!
But see the problem with this one is that I don’t like the main character, Leah. Before starting this book I read a lot of positive reviews about it so I was so exited to pick it up, but as it progressed all my expectations started crumbling around me. I mean the story in itself is not really bad, but I just can’t stand Leah. She is unnecessarily bitchy towards everyone just because she can’t get a handle on her own life. The way she treats her mom is simply unacceptable, it’s not like her mom did anything on purpose, and she is working her ass off to make up for it as well. Leah mistreats her, her boyfriend on every chance she gets, even when she does an amazing thing like buy her a prom dress which she can barely afford!! But what does Leah do?She accuses her, tells her off and not even thank her properly for the dress. Then there is the matter with her friend Morgan, I mean of course what she said about Abby was completely unacceptable, but since then she has been trying to make up for it!!! It’s Leah who won’t even give her a chance, I mean at least have some compassion for the girl you have been friends with most of your life!! She just got rejected from the school she really wanted to go to and she took it out on somebody else, what she did was wrong and she knows it, at lest give her a chance to make up for it without calling her a racist on every occasion. Besides we all know that the only reason you were so mad at her was just because you have a crush on Abby and you did not want anybody to say anything bad about her which your friends have no idea about. They don’t know why you are having such strong reaction to this,and the least you can do is let them explain, after that you can decide your next steps.
One more thing, she gets so mad at Abby for leading her on even when the poor girl has no idea what she is feeling and not actually trying to lead her on; and then she goes ahead and does the exact same thing to Garrett knowing full well she doesn’t fell anything for him and he is head over heels for her.
So in the end I’ll say this, if you want a light LGBT contemporary with a few good moments thrown around then go for it. But, if you have a need to like your characters as much as the plot then I am not sure this one is for you.
PS: I totally loved Simon and Bram, and that promposal!!! I mean talk about goals!!!
Author: Becky Albertalli
No of Pages: 343
Released on: April 24, 2018
Goodreads: ★★
Buy this Book here: Amazon
pc: Goodreads
My Thoughts:
This is a companion novel to Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli and follows Simon’s best friend Leah who is a bisexual. It tells the story of their senior year, relationship, heartbreak and a whole lot more of high school drama.
MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
I started this book hoping I will get the same kind to love I felt reading Simon vs the Homo Sapiens agenda. I mean I know it is not even fair to expect that from this book because I loved that one way too much, but still with the same characters, same universe... it’s not really that far fetched right!!!
But see the problem with this one is that I don’t like the main character, Leah. Before starting this book I read a lot of positive reviews about it so I was so exited to pick it up, but as it progressed all my expectations started crumbling around me. I mean the story in itself is not really bad, but I just can’t stand Leah. She is unnecessarily bitchy towards everyone just because she can’t get a handle on her own life. The way she treats her mom is simply unacceptable, it’s not like her mom did anything on purpose, and she is working her ass off to make up for it as well. Leah mistreats her, her boyfriend on every chance she gets, even when she does an amazing thing like buy her a prom dress which she can barely afford!! But what does Leah do?She accuses her, tells her off and not even thank her properly for the dress. Then there is the matter with her friend Morgan, I mean of course what she said about Abby was completely unacceptable, but since then she has been trying to make up for it!!! It’s Leah who won’t even give her a chance, I mean at least have some compassion for the girl you have been friends with most of your life!! She just got rejected from the school she really wanted to go to and she took it out on somebody else, what she did was wrong and she knows it, at lest give her a chance to make up for it without calling her a racist on every occasion. Besides we all know that the only reason you were so mad at her was just because you have a crush on Abby and you did not want anybody to say anything bad about her which your friends have no idea about. They don’t know why you are having such strong reaction to this,and the least you can do is let them explain, after that you can decide your next steps.
One more thing, she gets so mad at Abby for leading her on even when the poor girl has no idea what she is feeling and not actually trying to lead her on; and then she goes ahead and does the exact same thing to Garrett knowing full well she doesn’t fell anything for him and he is head over heels for her.
So in the end I’ll say this, if you want a light LGBT contemporary with a few good moments thrown around then go for it. But, if you have a need to like your characters as much as the plot then I am not sure this one is for you.
PS: I totally loved Simon and Bram, and that promposal!!! I mean talk about goals!!!



Comments
Post a Comment